Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade fruit leather AKA fruit rollups

So here is the low down on homade fruit leather. This is my second attempt at making it. The first attempt took 18 hours this attempt took 8. The secret LEAVE YOUR OVEN DOOR CRACKED. You can use any type of pureed fruit. The easiest way for yor first attempt. applesauce. applesauce can also be .mixed with pureed fruit so you get the flavor with less expense. I used 1 jar of applesauce on 2 plastic wrap lined baking sheets. The first I mixed with a jar of banana baby food, and the second I colored with food coloring to make rainbow fruit leather. Kids seem to like things better with color...
I poured the unsweetened applesauce onto the pan and spread it to about 1/8 in thick. Put dots of food coloring on it and mixed it with a spatuala. I also sprinkled with Ball fruit fresh to keep the color from darkening too much, and I put it in a 170 degree oven overnight WITH THE DOOR CRACKED When I woke up in the morning it was done! I put it on wax paper and cut it like fruit by the foot and put it in a jar.


Cost analysis: Aprox $2 made 18 mini fruit roll ups. Fruit roll ups on sale (or store brand) are about $2 (but I also used 8 hours of electricity. HOWEVER fruit leather is about $.50 each and this is fruit leather not sweetened corn syrup. So if you are doing it for health benefits, clean eating it is worth it. If you want a fun kitchen project worth it. If you are being frugal not worth it unles you have an abundance of fruit during the preservation season.

No comments:

Post a Comment